Skip to Content

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Rockport Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental HomeYour tenants need to feel secure and at home in their rental property, as a Rockport property manager. Ensuring the safety of a tenant can reduce vacancies and increase a property’s cash flow. However, some potentially dangerous conditions can arise without your knowledge if you don’t take extra precautions. Let’s look at five of the most prevalent home dangers that, if not addressed, could seriously harm or even kill your tenants. To prevent your rental property from posing a hazard to your tenants, it is essential to be aware of these common household hazards and how to prevent them.

Toxic Mold

When a food source, such as cardboard or paper, is present, molds grow in moist areas. The first symptom most people typically notice when they encounter mold is typically a musty odor. There are numerous types of mold, the majority of which are unsightly but not particularly hazardous to humans. Stachybotrys, also known as black mold, can be toxic. In extreme cases, it may cause anaphylactic shock, respiratory distress, and allergic reactions.

The good news is that it’s not too difficult to stop mold from developing in a rental property. Using an exhaust fan in steamy bathrooms, letting the house air out, and installing a dehumidifier in the basement can help prevent mold on your property. Think about teaching your tenants how to prevent mold and how to recognize its dangers. Additionally, you should regularly inspect your property for signs of mold. If the worst happens and you discover black mold, it’s crucial to call a specialist right away so they can safely remove it and address the moisture issue that initially caused the mold.


With regard to older rental properties, asbestos poses a significant problem. As long as the asbestos is found within walls or other enclosed areas, it is relatively safe, provided that it is not disturbed. If asbestos is present in the walls of your rental property, you must inform your tenant not to drill holes or otherwise create openings in the walls, even to hammer in a nail. Asbestos can enter a home through even small cracks and cause mesothelioma cancer.

Only trained experts with the appropriate licenses should remove asbestos. You should not remove asbestos yourself or permit a tenant to do so in order to avoid injury and asbestos-related illness.

Lead Poisoning

Lead is an additional highly unsafe substance that may be present in older rental homes. Prior to its prohibition in 1978, lead paint was widely used in older homes. Even if you have painted over the old paint, as homes age, paint can flake off and expose your tenants’ children, pets, and other family members to toxic lead. In certain areas, lead poisoning can also come from old pipes.

To avoid lead poisoning, you should conduct a thorough lead inspection of the plumbing and water in your rental property. Also, if your home was constructed before 1978, it’s a good idea to have the paint removed and tested by trained professionals. The only way to ensure that your tenants are safe from lead exposure is to completely remove the old paint from all affected surfaces, though painting over lead paint is a temporary stop-gap.


In the United States, house fires are an all-too-common occurrence. Unfortunately, residential fires can be fatal. More than 346,000 home fires occur annually on average, resulting in 2,620 civilian deaths. Oil and other ingredients cause cooking fires, whereas dryer lint is the leading cause of laundry room fires. Faulty appliances, electrical problems, and unattended candles are additional significant causes of home fires.

There are numerous things you should do to keep your rental property free from fires. First, do everything possible to ensure that your rental property is devoid of electrical problems, and have the dryer vent cleaned annually. Second, teach your tenants about fire safety and provide them with fire extinguishers, functioning smoke detectors, and other necessary items. By taking these simple precautions, you can significantly reduce the likelihood that your rental property will catch fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is an additional frequent household hazard. Burning wood, propane, gasoline, charcoal, and other fuels release carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas. When devices and engines that use these fuels are not adequately ventilated, carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space and cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Headaches, nauseous symptoms, blurred vision, and confusion are symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Extreme carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to irreversible tissue damage or even death.

Through appropriate maintenance and tenant education, carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided. Regular maintenance is essential for fireplaces and appliances that use any of the above fuels. Install carbon monoxide detectors all through your rental property to warn you and your tenants of potential dangers. If your rental property has a garage or if your tenants have a propane grill or heater, it’s a good idea to inform them that they must never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed area. Your tenants might benefit from some basic safety education to prevent illness and worse.

A big job that can take a lot of time is making sure your tenants are safe and healthy. Why not let experts assist? At Real Property Management Shoreline, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep your property and tenants safe. Call us at 361-885-0500 to learn more about our services, or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.

The Neighborly Done Right Promise

The Neighborly Done Right Promise ® delivered by Real Property Management, a proud Neighborly company

When it comes to finding the right property manager for your investment property, you want to know that they stand behind their work and get the job done right – the first time. At Real Property Management we have the expertise, technology, and systems to manage your property the right way. We work hard to optimize your return on investment while preserving your asset and giving you peace of mind. Our highly trained and skilled team works hard so you can be sure your property's management will be Done Right.

Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.

See Full Details